A Guide On High-Risk Work Licences In Australia

About Me
Top Auto Tips

Howdy! On my amazing new blog, you will be able to read articles which contain all of my top auto tips. I'm no expert, but over the past couple of years, I have spent a very long time learning everything I can about the world of automobiles. I was inspired to set out on my quest when I purchased my first car. I wanted to make sure that I knew everything I needed to know about maintaining and improving my vehicle. I have made good friends with the workers in my local auto garage and this has helped me to learn lots of cool things.


A Guide On High-Risk Work Licences In Australia

26 August 2020
 Categories: Automotive, Blog

A high-risk work licence allows you to work at heights and operate dangerous equipment such as cranes and forklifts. Below is a comprehensive guide on high-risk work licences in Australia. 

Getting Your Licence 

Regarding the automotive industry, high-risk work licences are a requirement for people that operate heavy construction equipment such as forklifts, mobile cranes, excavators and wrecking balls. To qualify for this licence, you must be at least 18 years of age. You are required to be of sound mind when applying for the permit. Applicants must have undergone the training required to perform the high-risk work at an accredited registered training organisation (RTO). At the RTO, you will be assessed to establish whether you understand the various safety precautions you should take when undertaking high-risk work. For instance, when operating heavy construction equipment, you should: 

  1. Physically inspect the equipment to ensure it does not have faulty cables, hydraulics, braking or electric systems.
  2. Observe the recommended weight limits. Exceeding these limits could cause the machine to topple.
  3. Maintain safe working conditions. For example, all personnel should have personal protective clothing. Besides, you should barricade the working area.
  4. Identify the machine's blind zones. It is especially so when using mobile cranes.
  5. Not use the equipment during heavy rains, winds or storms.

Different states have varying application requirements. However, you are required to submit your identification documents, a competence certificate from the RTO and a passport photograph when applying for the high-risk work licence. You must also pay an application fee. Approval takes approximately sixty days, depending on your state.

Keeping Your Licence 

The high-risk work licence lasts for five years. If you do not renew the licence within twelve months, you are required to retake a competence test at the RTO before applying for the permit.

You do not need a high-risk work licence when operating a front end loader, backhoe or skid steer loader in some states. The licence may be exempt when setting up the equipment or loading it onto a truck. However, the operator and the person conducting a business or undertaking must ensure that the earthmover is safe to operate. Besides, the operator must be trained on how to operate the machine.

A high-risk work licence is an affirmation that you can safely conduct risky work.  You must understand your state requirements regarding high-risk work licences. Also, most clients ask for the permit before you conduct earthmoving works on their property.

Reach out to another professional for more information about high-risk work licences